Google's advertising has a much different effect for generating business for companies. While Facebook specializes in creating awareness, interest, and relationships, Google is much better at generating actual action and desire for a company's products and services. This is because people on Google are always searching for something. If your advertisement appears, it means that you provide an answer to people's inquiries or problems.
While Facebook can target based on a variety of characteristics and interests, Google targets based on two major things: location (country, state, or city) and keywords searched. Similar to Google, you must have a CPC maximum bid; however, the price of this keyword depends on the popularity of the keywords you are looking for.
An important aspect of Google is the Quality Score. Each of your advertising campaigns will have a score based on the relevance of your advertisement. This is determined by:
- your clickthrough rate: the number of clicks on your ad divided by the number of times they see the ad
- the quality of your landing page
- the relevance of the keyword to the advertisement
A Google Ad will consist of a headline, body text, a URL, and an optional picture. Here is an example of a successful ad:
There are several things about this ad that make it effective:
- Headline: focuses on the specific product, rather than the company. This makes consumers more willing to click the link, as it matches the searched keywords.
- Body Text: mentions the specific products, and clearly states the benefits of buying from that company
- Destination URL: leads to the landing page that is most relevant for the user, rather than the home page. Also, the URL is clear and has keywords within the domain name.
- Think about the keywords from your customer's point of view
- Use relevant variations
- Don't be too broad: use phrases with 2-3 words
- Be specific in product variations
- You can add "negative keywords," or keywords that should prevent your advertisement from appearing because it is irrelevant
Moreover, Google allows you to advertise on Google's search engine, Google's parners (such as Youtube), and Google's Display Networks. You can customize this even further to allow advertisements to appear only on desktops, laptops, smart phones, or allow all options.
Overall, Google and Facebook are both effective ways of generating business, as long as they are used correctly and strategically. Several companies are successful in utilizing and linking both advertising methods together. Generally, Facebook generates awareness and interest, and Google optimizes desire and action.